Do You Know What Slavery Is?
Slavery occurs when one person completely controls another person, using violence or the threat of violence to maintain that control, exploits them economically, pays them little or nothing and they cannot walk away. The realities of slavery are astounding:
- There are 21 million people in forced labor
- The total number of people estimated to be in slavery today ranges from 21-30 million
- Slavery is not legal anywhere but happens in every country in the world!
- 55% of victims today are women and girls; 45% are men and boys
- Slavery is a $32 billion annual industry; almost half is generated from western countries
- 78% of slavery victims today are in labor slavery, 22% are in the sex trade
Teaching villagers about slavery prevention is part of the solution. The true solution is to end extreme poverty through TCD , thus removing the vulnerability. Ending poverty ends slavery.
Have You Met Kiran Karki?
Help Kiran continue to end poverty with GHNI! Learn more about Kiran and all of the incredible things he is doing with GHNI to give help and hope to the hidden and hurting!
The GHNI USA office will be closed:
Closed Friday Dec 23 to Monday Dec 26
Closed Monday January 2nd
Our US office will be open to receive phone in donations as normal between 9 AM and 5 PM Eastern time zone.